Prior to 1950, a group of concerned parents began praying and planning for a school that would provide Christian teaching in every facet of their children's education. Out of their concern, Peoria Christian School was founded, and opened its doors to sixteen students and one teacher. Their facility was a remodeled garage located behind the old Christian Center on Knoxville Avenue.
The following years were years of building and growth. The enrollment steadily progressed as grades were added, producing the first eighth grade graduating class in 1952. A building was constructed on Tripp Avenue in 1956 to house the expanding school. September 1975 saw the beginning of a high school program with the addition of grades 9-11.
In 1976, additional property facing California Avenue was purchased, and four portable units were added to the school for a total of five buildings on eight acres of land. In May 1977, PCS had its first graduating class of eleven seniors. A new elementary building at 3506 North California Avenue opened in February 1983. In 1987, another building addition was completed to house both the junior and senior high. In 1993, the junior and senior high moved into a new 60,000 square foot addition. The elementary now occupies the 1987 addition.
The four-acre property at 3725 N. Monroe Avenue was purchased in 2001 from the Peoria Heights school district. This building now houses our fifth through eighth grades. The addition of a new gymnasium, computer lab, and classrooms increased the size of the Monroe building to 28,000 square feet.
Peoria Christian School is accredited by the Association of Christian Schools International and North Central Association through AdvancED. PCS is recognized by the Illinois State Board of Education. Ninety-five percent of PCS graduates progress to higher education. The 10-year ACT composite score average is 24.2. PCS also offers a Distinguished Scholar Diploma that goes beyond our traditional diploma. The current enrollment is about 700 students, Preschool - 12th grade.